Victoria Z. Sulerzyski
Victoria Z. Sulerzyski
Victoria Z. Sulerzyski has over twenty years of experience in trust and estates law. She represents individuals and families in connection with wills, trusts, and all aspects of estate planning, including preparation of wills, trusts, charitable trusts, advance directives, and durable general power of attorneys. She works with clients on estate administration, preparation of fiduciary income tax returns, and federal and state estate tax returns. Victoria works closely with clients to preserve and transfer wealth in accordance with their unique wishes and circumstances.
Victoria also counsels clients on special needs planning, helping them care and provide for disabled family members long into the future. She advises on transition into post-secondary education and on obtaining governmental benefits such as SSI, SSDI, and Medicaid. She assists clients with special needs trusts, including d(4)(a) trusts, third-party special needs trusts, and pooled income trusts.
Victoria also works with families on guardianship matters including representation in circuit court. She counsels families concerning special education needs such as Individual Education Programs (IEPs) and related matters and is recognized for her knowledge of the legal challenges facing the disabled. She has testified on disability issues before the U.S. Congress and the Maryland General Assembly.
Prior to joining Bowie & Jensen, Victoria worked for six years as in-house counsel at an international educational technology corporation, where she oversaw data privacy matters. She is thus prepared to advise business clients on state, federal, and international data privacy regulations, breach responses, regulatory investigations, and internal policies.
Victoria has also served as Chief of Staff to the Honorable Mary Ellen Barbera, Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals, and as a law clerk to the Honorable Alan M. Wilner (Retired), also of the Maryland Court of Appeals. She has served on the boards of several nonprofit organizations, including the Kennedy Krieger Institute, and in 2012 was honored with the Volunteer of a Lifetime Award by the United Way of Central Maryland.
- University Baltimore School of Law, J. D., cum laude
- University of Maryland, B.S. Journalism
- University of Maryland Global Campus, B.S. Paralegal Studies
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Affiliations & Awards
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Board of Trustees, Langton Green, Inc.
- Board of Trustees, PACT: Helping Children with Special Needs
- Board of Trustees, Kennedy Krieger Institute, 2010-2014
- Member, Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, Model Waiver Committee
- Recipient, United Way of Central Maryland 2012 Volunteer of a Lifetime Award
- Recipient, American Health Care Lawyers Association Pro Bono Champion Award, 2012
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2014