A recent recipient of the “Baltimore Power Player” award, Nicole has been guiding businesses in Maryland – and beyond – on employment law matters for the past 15 years. With an emphasis on practicality and straight talk, Nicole works with CEOs, general counsel, human resource directors, and entrepreneurs to provide clear and actionable guidance.
Nicole’s practice includes all aspects of employment law, including compliance as well as litigation. Her compliance work includes helping clients to identify and prioritize steps to adhere to state and federal laws, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other “fair labor” statutes. Nicole also has significant experience designing and implementing compliance programs, and provides ongoing counsel to employers on a wide range of matters, including employment agreements, employee handbooks, wage and hour matters, performance management, sexual harassment, and termination and severance.
In addition to her compliance and counseling work, Nicole has considerable experience resolving employment disputes. She represents employers in a variety of administrative proceedings, including before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Maryland Civil Rights Commission and the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. Nicole collaborates with firm colleagues on employment litigation matters, including claims related to the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Act, discrimination, retaliation, and restrictive covenants.
Clients span a range of industries, from technology to government contractor staffing to manufacturing, and include many Maryland-based employers with multi-state operations. Nicole also works with firm clients to secure, expand and maintain federal Disadvantaged Business Enterprise and state Minority Business Enterprise certifications.
Nicole has been a featured presenter and writer on employment law topics for trade groups, institutions, and news media including the Maryland Bar Association Business Law Institute, the University of Maryland School of Law, the Baltimore City Medical Society, the American Council of Engineers, the Medical Group Management Association, Northeastern Maryland Tech Council, the Construction Financial Management Association, the Financial Planning Association of Maryland, and the Chesapeake Human Resources Association. She oversees Bowie & Jensen’s employment law practice and serves on the firm’s management committee. Nicole has a significant history of involvement with area nonprofits and currently serves on the board of The Women’s Law Center of Maryland.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
- Loyola College of Maryland, M.Ed. and B.A.
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Maryland
Affiliations & Awards
- Leadership in Law Award (The Daily Record, 2017)
- SmartCEO Magazine’s “Baltimore Power Players” Award (2014)
- Board of directors, The Women’s Law Center of Maryland
- Employment issues committee member, Maryland Chamber of Commerce
- Appointed to selection committee for SmartCEO Magazine’s CPA Awards
- Super Lawyers
- Selected to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2015-2021
- Selected to the Maryland Rising Star Super Lawyers list, 2009-2011
- Member, employment law section of the Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Baltimore County Bar Association
- Member, Society for Human Resource Management
- Member, Executive Alliance
- Fellow, Maryland Bar, 2017 -Present
Nicole’s prior board and committee service include the following:
- Trustee, Greenspring Montessori School (2010-2014)
- Government relations committee member, Chesapeake Human Resources Association (2008-2011)
- Gala planning committee member, House of Ruth Crabaret (2009-2010)
- Author, “Nicole Windsor Advises Employers on What They Need to Know About the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act,” 3/8/18.
- Mentioned, “Movers and Shakers,” The Daily Record, 3/7/16.
- Author, “Exit Interviews Are Crucial For Departing Employees,” Dental CPAs blog, 4/31/12.
- Author, “Dental Employee Exit Interviews: Tell Us How You Really Feel,” Dental CPAs blog, 4/17/12.
- Mentioned, “Law firms plan for change in leadership,” The Daily Record, 4/1/12.
- Mentioned, “On the Move – Legal Edition,” The Daily Record, 5/2/10.