Business owners, executives and nonprofits large and small have turned to Mark for sound counsel during times of transition for three decades. A dedicated advocate for Bowie & Jensen clients - and of causes important to the health and well-being of those in the region - Mark brings practical experience and energy to every endeavor.
The core of Mark’s practice is counseling established private companies on decisions and transactions which advance critical corporate objectives. This work centers on mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, financings, and succession planning.
Mark’s client support typically extends beyond the limits of any one transaction: with experience guiding large, established entities – including as a highly involved member of the board of the region’s largest healthcare system – as well as mid-sized businesses, he draws on his diverse experience to help clients move forward.
Accordingly, Mark acts as outside general counsel for a number of private companies, helping them to identify and triage a range of legal and business issues, including intellectual property, real estate and employment matters.
As the grandson of Danish immigrant farmers and the son of a retail store owner, Mark observed firsthand the hard work and determination required to launch and grow smaller ventures. He continues to devote time to helping Maryland entrepreneurs and small business owners and currently serves on the board of directors of a Baltimore biotech start-up.
Mark co-founded Bowie & Jensen and oversees all transactional work for firm clients. He is rated as “preeminent” by a leading survey of his peers, and was recently selected to The Daily Record’s Leaders in the Law list, among other recognitions. He has provided pro bono assistance to numerous non-profit organizations, including Intrepid Foundation, Bates/Vincent Foundation, Roland Park Civic League, and Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation. Mark’s energy extends beyond the realm of client and nonprofit work to the world of foster parenting, Taekwondo, motorcycle racing, and high performance driving.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D.
- Hamline University, B.A. magna cum laude; member, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Maryland
Board Affiliations & Memberships
Mark is active on boards and committees with the following organizations:
- MedStar Health System
- Member, board of directors
- Chair, quality, safety and professional affairs committee
- Member, audit committee
- Former vice chair, strategic planning committee
- Former member, investment committee
- Member, board of directors of Greenspring Financial Insurance Limited (MedStar Health captive insurance company)
- Evapco, Inc., member of the board of directors
- CARE Pharmacies Cooperative Inc., member of the board of directors
- Systems Alliance, Inc., member of the advisory board
- Make Well Known Foundation, member of the board of directors
- The Hampden Family Center, Inc., counsel to the board of directors
- Intrepid Foundation, member of the board of directors
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Member of the lawyer assistance program, which supports attorneys struggling with addiction
- Baltimore County Bar Association, volunteer with the lawyer assistance program, which supports attorneys struggling with addiction
Mark’s previous board, committee and volunteer service includes the following:
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital (2001-2010)
- Board chairman and board member
- Chair, strategic planning committee
- Chair, professional practice and quality oversight committee
- Member, risk management committee
- Member, hospital leadership committee
- Participant, medical executive committee
- Board member, Union Memorial Foundation
- Maryland Hospital Association
- Chaired the Search Committee for national search for new Maryland Hospital Association President and CEO
- Former Chairman of the board
- Former member, operations committee
- Former member, clinical and quality issues committee
- Towson Chamber of Commerce (1990-2000)
- President (1993-1994) and member, board of directors and executive committee
- Chairperson, TowsonTowne Spring Festival
- Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association of Greater Baltimore, founder and board member (2000-2005)
Mark’s current memberships include:
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association of Greater Baltimore
Rankings & Awards
- Selected to the Best Lawyers in America list, 2019, for outstanding work in Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) and Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law.
- Selected to the Best Lawyers in America list, 24th edition, 2018
- Selected to the Best Lawyers in America, 2016
- Selected to The Daily Record’s 2015 Leadership in Law list
- Martindale-Hubbell “Preeminent” AV rated
- Selected to the 2015 SmartCEO Legal Elite list
- Selected to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2013-2019
- Author, "Five Things to Consider if You are Thinking About Selling Your Business: Part 1 - Part 2"
- Profiled, "Leadership in Law: Mark T. Jensen” The Daily Record - November 2015
- Featured, “Getting to Zero: In Embracing the Concept of High Reliability, Hospitals Aim to Eliminate Patient Harm” Trustee Magazine - June 2015
- Mentioned, “People on the Move” column regarding merger and acquisitions transactions Baltimore Business Journal - May 2015
- Mentioned, “Movers and Shakers” column regarding election to board of directors at Greenspring Financial Insurance Limited, Inc. The Daily Record - October 2014
- Mentioned, "Movers and Shakers” column regarding appointment to chairman of Maryland Hospital Association The Daily Record - September 2014
- Quoted, “Bowie & Jensen names Hjortsberg as managing member” Baltimore Business Journal - July 2011
- Mentioned, “Md. Hospital Association names new board members” Baltimore Business Journal - July 2011
- Represented founders in $25 million sale of third party retirement plan administrator business to private equity group in roll-up transaction
- For serial entrepreneur, facilitated $10 million purchase of regional contracting business
- Outside general counsel for nearly 30 years to successful mid-Atlantic distributor of specialty products. Advise on real estate, employment, contracts, mergers and acquisitions, tax, regulatory and litigation matters
- Negotiated $40 million sale of joint venture interest in international wholesale distributorship to private equity firm
- Represented local publisher in $1.5 million combined sale of publishing business and related real estate
- 25-year representation of highly successful manufacturer of health supplements, from start-up phase through major expansion, reorganization, mergers and acquisitions, and relocation. Counsel founder on intellectual property, regulatory, real estate, and litigation matters, and establishment of in-house legal team
- Represented financial services company in the sale of $125 million of stock to private investors and operators
- Counseled executive director of august nonprofit institution on negotiation of employment agreement with retirement and termination benefits, and subsequent negotiated retirement
- Advised private company owner on planning and implementation of $25+ million charitable giving program
Mark resides in the greater Baltimore area with his wife and son. They have been foster parents to numerous infants with medical conditions over the years.
Mark has recently earned his third degree black belt in Taekwondo, which is recognized by the Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters. He has competed successfully across the United States, winning three national championships. A longtime motorcyclist, he enjoys many varieties of on- and off-road riding. He is a graduate of the Penguin School of Motorcycle Racing and the Skip Barber School of High Performance Driving.