A seasoned litigator and former news broadcaster and producer, Josh represents clients in intellectual property and business disputes in federal courts across the country. He also advises entrepreneurs and established companies on trademark protection, data security and other topics to help them mitigate the risk of future litigation.
Josh’s intellectual property litigation experience includes technology disputes, patent, trademark and copyright infringement matters, and trade secret misappropriation. He has represented numerous software companies in complex licensing and development disputes, and in patent infringement litigation involving electrical and mechanical devices and consumer products, including nutraceuticals. A broad array of clients – including a national restaurant chain, an apparel manufacturer, and a broadcasting network – have turned to Josh for representation in trademark and copyright litigation.
His business litigation experience includes class action defense, false advertising and unfair competition claims, employment discrimination and restrictive covenant disputes, securities fraud claims, and a wide range of partnership and commercial contract disputes. Clients include private companies at all stages of development, public companies, and individual business owners.
Josh’s background as a broadcaster – a former reporter, writer and producer for television and radio news in Baltimore and in the UK - enables him to communicate persuasively and effectively on behalf of his clients. He is at ease in the courtroom and prides himself on communicating complex issues clearly. Josh recognizes that the best dispute resolution strategy is the one that is in developed in the context of the clients’ business objectives, and is skilled at helping clients assess their options and make fact-based decisions.
He oversees all intellectual property litigation at the firm, and has spoken on a variety of litigation and intellectual property protection topics to firm clients as well as bar and trade associations.
Beyond Bowie & Jensen
Community involvement and advocacy are fundamentally important to Josh. In addition to serving in leadership roles on local councils, committees and community associations, he provides pro bono assistance to local community causes. This assistance has included successful action to compel the local school district to build a new elementary school to relieve overcrowding and the effort to build a community swim club that would provide special services for children in need. Josh is also a dedicated member of the Church of the Nativity, where he has volunteered his time in ways big and small for more than seven years.
- University of Baltimore, J.D. cum laude; member, Intellectual Property Law Journal
- Frostburg State University, B.S. summa cum laude; member, Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Sunderland (England), British journalism degree
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Affiliations & Awards
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Maryland Bar Association
- Selected to the Maryland Super Lawyers list, 2014-2016
- Vice President, Greater Towson Council
- President, West Towson Neighborhood Association
- Appointed Chair, Towson Triangle Committee
- Quoted, “Developer agrees to large increase in open space waiver fees in Towson” The Baltimore Sun - December 2015
- Quoted, “Towson Row project draws criticism over lack of open space” The Baltimore Sun - August 2015
- Quoted,“Residents question lack of open space in Towson Row project” The Baltimore Sun - February 2015
- Quoted, “PwC Figured Employees Won’t Need to Sue Them Anyway” GoingConcern.com - March 2014
- Mentioned, “Nutramax levels patent infringement suit against California company” Baltimore Business Journal - October 2012
- Mentioned, “Johns Hopkins faces patent-infringement suit over nerve-mapping method” Baltimore Business Journal - August 2012
- Mentioned, “Court case shows the importance of understanding professional liability insurance” BusinessInsuranceNow.com - December 2011
- Mentioned, “Star Scientific, Burberry, In-N-Out: Intellectual Property,” Bloomberg News - August 2011
- Mentioned, “Annapolis tech firm challenges eBay in court” Baltimore Business Journal - December 2010
- Quoted, “Towson Swim Club to meet with Baltimore County design review panel” Towson Times - July 2010
- Quoted, “Petroleum Traders Corp. wins $700,000 judgement against Baltimore County” Baltimore Business Journal - May 2009