Gary concentrates his practice in the preparation of and advice regarding all aspects of a client’s estate plan; this includes a last will and testament, relevant trusts, power of attorney and family limited partnerships. He relishes all the nuances that make each client’s estate planning goals unique while navigating the tenets of the law. Gary works with individuals – from young families just starting out to those with significant business holdings and assets – to create effective plans to preserve, manage and transfer wealth. He is adept at not only explaining complex estate law concepts in plain English, but also asking just the right questions of clients in order to develop a plan designed to address their particular circumstances and wishes. Gary has broad experience in litigation and is therefore uniquely qualified to anticipate problems and draft documents to effectively circumvent those problems.
With prior experience at two of the country’s largest law firms – DLA Piper and Venable – Gary has a strong background in a wide range of litigation matters, from complex tort defense to $250 million payment recovery actions to more traditional contract and partnership disputes. He regularly represents clients in state courts in commercial and estate litigation and is a key contributor to the firm’s work on federal court cases. He also works with firm clients on transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions, and advises entrepreneurs on topics such as entity formation, partnership agreements, and succession planning.
In addition to his work for firm clients, Gary has a long history of involvement with Maryland nonprofit organizations and has been recognized for his extensive pro bono contributions. Gary is has been awarded for his pro bono contributions, he has also served as a Big Brother, tutor, and coach. He currently serves on the board of Community Law in Action, which trains Baltimore high school students to effect positive change in their schools and communities. Gary is a former New York City public school teacher and a repeat Boston Marathon runner.
- University of Maryland Law School, J.D.
- Boston College, Lynch School of Education, M.A.
- Le Moyne College, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Maryland
Affiliations & Awards
- Board member, Community Law in Action
- Recipient, First Prize in Maryland Writers’ Association’s Creative Nonfiction Contest (2015)
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Selected to the Maryland Rising Star Super Lawyers list (2009, 2011, 2013-2014)
- Recipient, Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award, DLA Piper (2012)
- Recipient, University of Maryland Public Service Award, in connection with creation of law and leadership-focused charter school (2004)
Gary’s prior volunteer roles include the following:
- Board director, Best Buddies Maryland (2011-2014)
- Coach, Towson Recreation Council Youth Soccer (2010-13)
- Pro bono attorney, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers’ Service (2005-2011)
- Tutor, Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (2007-2010)
- Mentor at Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake (1996-2001)
Co-author, “Commentary: Digital assets bill before Md. General Assembly caters to industry” The Daily Record - March 2016